How Do I Enforce My Child Support Order?

If the father of your children is not paying child support, don't stand by and do nothing. If ordered by the court, child support is mandatory, not optional. You do not have to listen to his excuses every month and hope he pays; he has to pay.


If the father of your children fails to meet the requirements set by a prior court order, you may file a Motion for Contempt in the county of the original court order. He must return to court to defend the action, even if he has moved away, lost his job or had some kind of change in his circumstances. In cases of contempt, sometimes the court will order the non-paying father to pay all past due child support and to enroll in a special program known as the "Fatherhood Program." Continued failure to comply could result in serious financial penalties and even jail time.

Wage Garnishment

If you know the employer for the father of your children, a garnishment can be a faster and less expensive way to collect support. Through wage garnishment, his employer is required to withhold a certain amount of his earnings to repay child support or alimony. Even if he is unemployed, unemployment checks may also be subject to garnishment.

Other Methods

There are a number of other methods to force him to support his children as the court has ordered. For example, you may be able to impose an automatic wage deduction. With an automatic wage deduction, the non-custodial parent to have the required child or spousal support funds automatically taken out of his wages.

Another way to collect past due child support is through tax refunds. Tax refunds may be taken to make up for back payments of child support, as can any lottery winnings.

Also, the driver's license of a dead-beat father in Georgia may be denied, as well as a professional license or passport. (Although, the denial of a passport can only be done if the amount of Georgia child support owed is more than $5,000).

There are many ways to enforce your child support and alimony order.

Contact Georgia Family Matters to schedule your free 30 minute in-person consultation to discuss how to get the money you deserve!

Got a Question or Comment?

Email Address
Type Verification Image
verification image, type it in the box
Please enter your message in the box below:
I have read and agree to the disclaimer

Home | Practice Areas | Attorney Profile | Child Support Enforcement | Cost | Articles and News | Contact Us

© Georgia Family Matters

Fulton County, Cobb County, Gwinnett County, Cherokee County, Dekalb County, Hall County, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Marietta, East Cobb, Lawrenceville, Duluth, East Point, Peachtree City, Smyrna, Mableton, Tucker, Stone Mountain, Powder Springs, Jonesboro, Austell, Union City, Lilburn, Morrow, Kennesaw, Norcross, Dunwoody, Vinings, Decatur, Georgia, South, Southeast, United States Divorce, child custody, child support, alimony, spousal support, child support modification, contempt, divorce modification, hidden money, grandparents' rights, property division, mediation, prenuptial agreements, post-nuptial agreements

DISCLAIMER - Using this website does not create an attorney client relationship between you and Georgia Family Matters, LLC or any individual attorney. None of the materials available at this site constitute legal advice. This site has been designed to provide you with general information regarding our firm, our attorneys, and the types of services we provide. If you need legal advice, or desire to establish an attorney client relationship with any of the firm's attorneys, please contact us.

Powered by: